A qualified professional with practical experience designing custom-made and automated industrial equipment intended for use in an industrial manufacturing environment. He/she masters all aspects of mechanical systems such as drive systems, machinery, conveyors, process plumbing, steel structures, pneumatics, hydraulics, and fluids.
- Explain and present designs to customers as directed by the project manager.
- Work with the project manager to develop and approve engineering design budgets.
- Implement design and procedural standards to improve efficiency.
- Participate in all steps of mechanical design from the preliminary draft to the final design, including the selection of hardware & equipment.
- Validate and document engineering calculations to support and justify designs.
- Validate all drawings related to assigned projects.
- Supervise all engineering deliverables related to the mechanical design and construction of
- equipment, including mechanical approval drawings, detail drawings, bills of materials, process schematics, purchasing specifications, sketches for sub-contractors, etc.
- Provide the project manager with a status update on deliverables.
- Ensure effective inter-departmental communication, as required, to develop sound designs and properly functioning equipment.
- Incorporate best practices for methods of work (value engineering, Lean design, manufacturing-centered design, practical tolerances, etc.).
- Work proactively to meet deadlines, component and manufacturing costs, etc., without exceeding them.
- College or University degree in engineering or related discipline
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and electric control an asset
- Proficient with Auto CAD and SolidWorks
- Experience with automated machinery
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills